Thursday 26 February 2015

4Grounds Stoic Arms day 3

Welcome to day 3.

So on to the second floor. It starts off with another box build that goes together nicely, but does need holding while the glue dries.
This photo shows you what not to do! Do not use a band in the middle, even with the bands on each end it pulls it out of shape. Also the piece between the doors has no connectors so it moved and glued in the wrong place! I just about realized what was going on before the glue dried and had to pull it apart, re-glue it and put it back together. This time with no band in the middle.


I said in my last blog that I had an idea for the doors. Well the plan was to glue the walls together and then put the door frame in and then glue it to the base with the door in place. The above pictures show what I mean the below picture show the result. 
 It worked really well but does need a bit of forward planning which throws the instructions out a little, but as long as you don't get confused as to which bits you have done you should be ok.  
 

It was while I was putting in the rest of walls I came across the first problem, which with a build of this size and complexity is pretty good. The connector on the bottom left of this piece is in the wrong place, or the hole it goes in on the floor is (depends on your perspective I guess). It's not a real problem as it glues to the back of another piece that did fit properly, all I done as you can see in the next picture is cut the connector off.
 

I glued it in place and held it there with the ever reliable pegs. The stairs are the same as the others and go together nicely. The supports in the second picture are in 2 parts that glue back to back and then to the wall. Its a nice touch as they are both a different design and cover the the big joins at the end of the wall.

  The frame work goes on as normal and needs to be held in place while it dries. All fitting nicely so far...
 

The second part of the second floor is built separately and then glued onto the first bit, this had me a bit worried, as the fit would have to be perfect if it was going to fit along the whole piece. After more frame work came the push, glue, insert and repeat retinue I have come to know well.
 

And some more , and then some more...

 This is the whole second floor together, I glued the 2 parts together but couldn't use my door trick here as the 2 parts were built separate, but don't worry I have another idea.
 

As you can see I was worrying over nothing the fit was perfect, the support frame on the first floor was exactly where it was meant to be. You have to take the roof off the first floor balcony to get it to fit, but that's why the instructions tell you not to glue that part.
 

The roof and the bay windows go in as before and work well. I didn't follow the instructions here to the letter but glued the left roof on, glued the supports to the window then glued that structure in place and then added the last bit of the wall. I done the same in the second picture but started from the right. Still all fitting nicely.
 

The balcony goes on in 4 parts and fits like the rest of the kit so far, well enough not to need holding or support while the glue is drying.
 

The interior of the second part is the same as before. I will say that as they are cut from thinner wood they have a tendency to fall out as you try and take one out. Again this is not a major issue as its fairly obvious where they go. In went the windows and the remaining doors (of which none broke this time, I'll show you what I done in the next photo). The windows did have the same problem of the bottom corner getting damaged, the only thing I can suggest at this point is to be as careful as possible... The roof that sits on top to second building part of this floor is a real easy build, roof panels go into 2 triangle pieces and a pieces goes on the end that you can see. The bar that goes across the top is another story. The roof that sits above the ground floor kitchen has the wrong number in the instructions, but its the right picture? I went with the number and not the picture, which was the wrong thing to do! I had to remove the bar from this part which was hard, but I guess that will teach me not glue it so well. It did crack a little in the middle, which I was not happy about, but  I cleaned it up and used tight bands to hold it in place while the glue dried on the right roof! Its not noticeable unless you look really closely.

To get the doors to fit when I couldn't glue the frame first I simply bevelled off the corners opposite the whole. This gave it enough room for it fit tightly but not snap. This is much quicker and does not require the forward planning of my other idea, so will do it this way from now on.






That's day 3 and almost there. The frames are looking empty and still excited to see this thing finished. Hopefully only one more day...

Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again for day 4 real soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment