Tuesday 11 February 2014

Get the Kids Involved

Sorry no Menoth, but as soon as I get some good pictures I promise they are coming!

Talking of taking good pictures, if you view my profile you will see that I like photography. It's what I studied at college, I didn't do very well! But I do have a small idea what I'm doing. So I'm getting a portable studio to take some nice pictures for the blog.


The studio is 40cm cubed and comes with different coloured back drops, but I wanted a display base that would fit inside so I decided to make one. I done the board and cut the polystyrene with a hot wire cutter and started to cover it in tissue paper and PVA. My 9 year daughter wanted to help and that meant my 5 year old son also wanted to help. I said what the hell, showed them what to do and let them get on with it.

They loved it!

(Yes I know, my daughter is One Direction fan, sorry, but she is only 9)

So with a hand full of tissue paper and a brush each they got on with it. 





At one point they were doing such a good job I left them to it! 



So about 40 mins later it was almost done.







More PVA and some sand and its time to let it dry. A word of caution at this time is that this will get messy! and if you only protect the table with a carrier bag mummy will not be happy! 


So there you have it, I let it dry and painted it, added some grass and all done. Top tip, if you want scenery made let a 9 year old and 5 year old do it! As a result of this little afternoon project we are now going to do a 4x4 board. My daughter has draw it out, the base is done (has been for a while and left in the shed) and over the next few weeks we will do what we can. I will post as we go but it will take time. I can tell you it has a river, hills with both sloped and rocky sides, a cobbled area in the middle with a wall around it big enough for a few buildings. This leads me to one question? What the hell have I let myself in for?!?! I guess time will tell and I will hopefully share the experience with you.

That's it for now, thanks for dropping by and please come back soon for an update.  

Take care.

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!!
    I recognised that back drop from the the pictures you sent in to us earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That was an old big one that will not fit in my new portable studio, we made this one Sunday. I used the same method though, it's what I will be using when I do the photos at the shop :-)

    ReplyDelete