Friday 21 March 2014

The Mountain King

So this is my Mountain King.

ROARRRRRRRRR!
I loved this miniature (don't think it should be called a miniature) the first time I saw it, so I used my birthday money to get the second I could. I must admit I nearly cried when the time came to pay for it but I still think it was worth it.

I must admit that that when I opened the box was really impressed by the size, its massive! I did have some heavy blocks form the injection process, but a saw, some files and my good old hobby knife soon saw them off. After dry fitting I did see some gaps, but nothing to worry about and went together really well, really quickly. I stuck it all together apart from the loin clothes and left it off the base. It took me an awful long time to get round to painting it a was really tempted to break out the airbrush, but I didn't in the end because I'm not very good with it and I really didn't want to ruin it. 

I painted the flesh like the rest of my troll, dark blue mixing in grey and building it up with a mixture of drybrushing and block colouring. The rocks started life as brown and had bone added then white, using the same method as for the skin. 
The loin cloth is a mixture of browns and bone colours that were highlighted up and then the whole thing got several glazes of really thinned brown ink to bring it all together. 

Then it was just a small case of painting the details.
The tongue, teeth, metal and whelps.
The tongue was painted a deep red, highlighted up with lighter red and then washed with thinned down brown and black (in the dark parts over the back). It was the gloss varnished.
The teeth were done the same as the rocks with more white added to the final highlights.
The metal was painted chainmail and heavily washed twice with black. I then highlighted certain areas with a very light drybrush of chainmail, as I wanted it look dark. I then washed it with thinned brown ink and added the rusty patches with a mixture of oranges and browns.

The base is very plain and I was planning to do something with it, but in the end only put in a small puddle which was created with loads of thin coats of watered down PVA (if you do it all in one go it might not dry properly and it will be white in the middle). To be honest I just wanted it finished but nothing stopping me revisiting it later...

So how does he do in the game... ermmm, it's  a lovely miniature...

I know the general feeling is that it's crap and well over costed, and I have to agree with over costed part, but I have seen it used well in some youtube videos. I don't have the experience with it to draw my own conclusions but will be unleashing it down the club sometime and will let you know how I get on.

That's it for now, thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. that is just plain gorgeous. you nailed that and no mistake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you good sir, I think your Mercs would look great with a Galleon...

    ReplyDelete